devi: (Default)
[personal profile] devi
I'm making lanterns and lampshades, and I want to test them, so what I'd like is this: a bare lightbulb on the end of a flex, so you can loop the bulb end over a rafter to hang down like a normal ceiling light and plug the other end into the wall. I seem to remember the builders having one when my home-home was being built back in the late 80s. But the searching I'm doing so far hasn't turned up anything like it. It's either your standard light fixtures or devices that let you plug lightbulbs straight into American sockets (which seem to be mainly sought after by weed-growers).

Anyone seen anything like this? Several lightbulb sockets on the same flex would be even better.

Date: 2010-09-24 10:00 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
This totally exists, my dad has/had one in his carpentry workshop and a posh version was featured in the Guardian Style mag feature on home offices a while ago. Hmm, I'm not sure where you could get one though. *thinks*

Date: 2010-09-24 10:18 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
I think the phrase you need is "Inspection lamp" - those are the ones sold for lofts, garages etc (and are slightly weather proofed and usually with a cage to keep the bulb from burning you/your house..

What I want (in order to make a lamp) is just a screw fitting, some flex, and a plug. B and Q rather failed me, so if you end up with a more "DIY" solution let me know?


Date: 2010-09-24 10:24 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
see i was thinking screw fitting, flex and plug as well. have you tried wickeses?

then just take the end off, add more flex and away you go, right? 3amp fuse in the plug and you'd be fine i reckon...

Date: 2010-09-24 11:04 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Aha, yes, just like this. That would work.

Date: 2010-09-24 11:04 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
and that's a Proper Scientist talking and everything ;)

Date: 2010-09-24 12:20 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
And more to the point, a Proper Technician. My CV qualifies me to bodge up all sorts of shite.

Date: 2010-09-25 03:52 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Your icon reminds me of the line drawings inside the secret seven books, but I can't find an example online, so I hope you just know what I mean. It's neat.

Date: 2010-09-25 10:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
I never read them myself, so I don't know what you mean! How peculiar.


Date: 2010-09-24 12:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Yes, I don't think you can get the bare kind commercially because of the obvious safety issues. Either building your own or stripping down a commercial inspection lamp would be the way.

(Although, bear in mind the bit about the obvious safety issues...)

Date: 2010-09-24 10:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
This is driving me mad - I know exactly the kind of thing you mean. My dad used to use one in the loft. The closest I've found so far ('inspection lantern') is this:

Date: 2010-09-24 11:00 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Ones that are just a socket on the end of some wire are a little harder to find because then you've got potential bare electric points like the inside of a light fitting but without them being fixed securely to something safely distant like a ceiling. If something like that was being sold you can imagine that someone would have one dangling over their bath or sink in such a way as it would drop in and kill them or whatever.

I've got a thing which is a plastic spring clip with a normal light fitting attached to that, which you could then attach shades to and which has a normal plug-in flex, but while the clip is less chunky than the DIY inspection lamp sort, it might still get in the way of the shade or at least spoil the aesthetic effect. That one came from Woolworth's I'm afraid but whatever local equivalent of Woolworth's you've got now might do something like that.

However, there's nothing to stop you getting some three-core cable, a pendant light fitting and a plug and putting one together yourself, other than your confidence with wiring.

Date: 2010-09-24 01:18 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
You will need:

* One of these...
* of these...
* ...and some of this.

Plus a screwdriver and a bulb to use with it.

The only thing I don't know is which fuse rating is most appropriate.

Date: 2010-09-24 02:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
as small as you can buy - 1A @ 240v is still 240W, so normal incandescent bulbs will take a quarter of that, low energy ones a twentieth. The smallest plug fuses readily available are probably 3A. To be fair, though, the fuse protects the cable, so as long as the cable will carry 3A without heating effects, 3A fuses will be fine. 1A if they can be found, though.

If an doubt of any misuse (or the general public) stick the whole lot on a plug-in RCD adapter, too.

Date: 2010-09-29 05:33 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
And for several on the same plug, take some extra lengths of flex, strip both ends, add another bulb holder on one end, screw both the mains and the spare flex into the terminals on the first bulb holder, daisy chain eac new one onto the last. If you're using real bulbs, you'll need to do some maths to figure the best fuse, 1A is still good for 3x 60W, you probably want 3A if you're using several 100W bulbs or 4+ 60W bulbs though.

I've still got one of these in my loft with a plug that drops through the loft hatch, because I've not got around to wiring something better in.

the hatter

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags


devi: (Default)

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Page generated Sep. 20th, 2017 02:09 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios
June 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 2017